Search This Blog

Friday, August 11, 2017

Erin Burnett, CNN, and Future Prospects



    With the spectre of a Nuclear War with North Korea and the Kim Dynasty looming large, CNN has found time to criticize Trump's words. In keeping with Presidential traditions, he has vowed a response of “fire and fury” if the North Korean government follows through with their threats. By “Presidential traditions,” I am thinking of how Democratic Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry Truman responded to threats from the Pacific-Asian empire wannabes. Roosevelt proclaimed a “Day which will live in infamy.” Truman dropped not one, but two atomic bombs in an attempt to end the 'big war.' Would CNN have had a problem with their 'words'(to say nothing of, GASP, their 'actions')? Talk about a pointless tangent.

    Erin Burnett, one of the leveller heads on that network, has found herself dragged into the muck and mire of CNN's latest ratings ploy--Coming down hard on the 'Resistance' and becoming their network of choice, essentially the Liberal version of Fox News. This metamorphosis on her part is puzzling, as I don't actually suspect she's that Liberal. As a long-time fan and watcher of her show, I have seen what she's capable of as a news presenter and reporter(long story short, a LOT). I've also seen shades of her true character in the earlier years of the show, and I was impressed. Recent shifts in the nature of her program, particularly over the course of the past year, have perplexed me. Clearly, CNN is not utilizing her for her talents. They're going after the bigger agenda, and using her as just another brick in the wall.

    I'm now of the opinion that Erin Burnett should parachute out of her CNN contract. They're not serving her well having her cover Trump 24/7. Having seen her show from the beginning, I know this isn't the real Erin. That I still see shades of the real her time and again, usually towards the end of the show(her voice cracked a little the other night when she reported on Glen Campbell's death), says it's not her fault. Burnett's beginning style was personable and incisive, and she really did try to get to the bottom of a story. The original purpose of the show was to "Go to the front lines, focus on our reporting, and find the 'OutFront Five'(Five top stories, and I'd be keen to use that as a band name)." CNN now has her echo company brass and pander to the 'Resistance' crowd to win views.

    She might be going along with CNN to help take care of her kids, but I do think there are far better options at hand whereby she can both ensure the livelihood of her family and also make a more positive contribution to reporting. Some place like Bloomberg or an NBC national affiliate would be more accommodating to the middle-of-the-road reporting at which she has historically excelled. MSNBC may veer more towards the left, but they are at least honest about their team colours and they do allow for hard reporting(Holt, Lester and Tur, Katy) and opposing viewpoints(see Scarborough, Joe and Wallace, Nicolle) to hold down time-slots. CNN calls themselves news, but, apart from Jake Tapper's show, are really positioning themselves as the network of Trump's resistance, in much the way Fox is the vehicle for Trump's agenda. Erin Burnett could give Katy Tur a run for her money as the journalistic star of the network(remember the old CNBC battles between 'Money Honey' Maria Bartiromo and 'Street Sweetie' Burnett?), or become the big star at her old stomping grounds over at Bloomberg.

    There are others, I'm sure, who are in similar positions at CNN, but Burnett is the one who most positively factors into my consciousness, so I talk about her. Here's a personal story regarding my awareness of her true character: On a Friday night in January, 2013, my father suffered a seizure, his third so far. While he survived, it was still a fraught experience. As I sat in the hospital waiting room, I saw a clip of her show playing on the TV. I tweeted out to all the world that, much as I disliked hospital television, it was nice to see her again. In the surreal moment of my now-late Grandmother and I watching(and laughing at) an episode of "Family Guy," my phone vibrated. Guess who had tweeted back? Erin had thanked me for watching her show and said she hoped I was doing all right. Thinking the last part may have been inspired by my allusion to hospital television, I responded by thanking her and mentioning my father had a health relapse earlier in the evening. She tweeted again to wish him well. That made my night a whole lot better, and cemented my perception of her as a person. Don't talk about this much because it's a very special memory for me and I don't want to beat it to death. I know she's been going through a difficult time of late with the passing of her mother, and I wish her nothing but the best in the present and going forward.

    Erin Burnett has long been a favourite of mine for myriad reasons. Saw her on CNBC in September, 2008, when the stock markets were starting their free fall--She was an instant eye-catcher. When I first saw her on CNN three years later, I was reeling from the death of a best friend. Seeing her again brought back the best memories from a seemingly distant age, and by itself made me feel better. A lot of those original sentiments still carry over to the present day. She provided the best way in which to view a lady: Not as a sexual object(which isn't to say I don't find her attractive), but as a real person with real life circumstances. At some point, one should give more weight to a person's well being than to whether or not one sees that person on TV every night. Everyone in the media deserves our best considerations in this age of high confusion, even if they're only out to serve corporate brass.





No comments:

Post a Comment